Larry> This suggestion has nothing to do with "Americans".  M$ Word
Larry> and WordPerfect, versions shipped all over the world, have a
Larry> blank document template, with minimum margins and other plain
Larry> vanilla characteristics.  About the only difference is the
Larry> choice of Letter vs. A3 etc.

Larry> Presenting first-time users with margins suitable for
Larry> publishing a book is truly unfortunate.  We owe them an
Larry> alternative.

Note that setting margins relies currently on the geometry package,
which is not available on each and every LaTeX installation (I do not
have it here, for example). So a default document template using this
will probably be bewildering for some people.