> I don't understand why we have "end of sentance period" built into the
> Insert -> Special Character menu.  We get that by typing "." don't we?

There are examples in the User Guide where you can see when we need the end of
sentence period.

> Shouldn't the special character instead be "not end of sentance period"

Similarly, there are situations where we need a "not end of sentence period",
and this is still missing.  There must be a better way than ".\" for this?  I
fear that combination will cause trouble when used in the wrong situations.
I'm no LaTeX guru, but I could imagine that it would be simple to come up with
a malicious character that will break things if it follows a backslash...

--

I'll keep John's reference doc on the matter so that LyX can be more
intelligent (although bits of the spec are a bit Americentric), and maybe we'll

Greets,

Asger