"Richard E. Hawkins Esq." wrote:

> > After I finally grasped when LaTeX uses what sort of spacing after a
> > ".", the algorithm struck me as odd.  After all, it's not hard to look
> > at the next non-whitespace character after a "." and see if it's
> > uppercase.  If so, that "." ends a sentence.  If not, it's an
> > abbreviation.
>
> Which would give us a sentence break in the middle of "Dr. Weiss"
>
> I don't see how we can get this fully straight without parsing the
> grammar . . .
>
> --
That may be true, but John has elegantly defined the scope of the
problem. This also has ramifications for find and replace. If we get it
right, it could greatly enhance the ease of searching LyX documents
using intelligent search engines. One way around this particular problem
is to have an abbreviation button that would define everything up to the
next space as an abbreviation. It would be really handy to also have a
table of abbreviations---perhaps as part of the spellchecker. I think
this issue is worthy of some thought.
--
Garst