Steve> I thought it might be worth putting together an inst image for
Steve> the SGI, so people don't have to compile for themselves, and so
Steve> lyx goes into the list of installed packages. I just need to
Steve> check - is the only post install command to run configure in
Steve> the library directory to find out which latex stuff is
Steve> installed? Otherwise, does anyone want to try it to check
Steve> before I upload it?

Yes, normally running lib/configure is the only thing to do.