Has something like this been mentioned before?

When you collapse a figure, you get a little red "fig". Wouldn't it be neat
if instead you got the label with which you had labelled that fig? (Of
course, this wouldn't work if you hadn't put in a lable...) In otherwords,
if there's a label somewhere in the caption inside a fig inset, then the
collapsed inset could just be a little red box around the gray label.

That way, you'd know which figure was where. Otherwise, if I've got 50
figures in a row at the end of my document, I need to open them all and page
through until I find the one I'm looking for. With labels, they're easier to
see. Of course, with a hyperlinked tableoffigures, it might be slightly less
useful. Still not useless, though.

This could of course work for tables too. I wonder if you'd want to create a
generic way of giving insets labels. I guess the problem there is that a
latex inset label wouldn't create a \label, while a figure inset label
would. Might get confusing.

-Amir