> I imagine that several of the functions in LyXFunc really should be
> written using the script language instead. So that we only have the
> basic commands implemented in C++ and the compound(?) ones written in
> scripts.

I like this approach too.

But for this to work, we need to settle the issue of a scripting
language.

To me, this means that we have to decide these things:

- Which "official" scripting language should we choose?

To me, Python is still the best candiate, but it seems
Alejandro disagrees until more research has been done.
That makes sense to me, so Alejandro, what things do you
think we should investigate now to progress further?

- What technical approach should be adopt -
  embedment or external spawns with communication through pipes or sockets?

The choice of scripting language depends on the second question.

If we chose an external spawned interpreter, we need to chose a language
that can be invoked in a "secure" mode, where arbitrary system access
is restricted.  I think only Java-Script might feature this out-of-the-box.

If we go for an embedded solution, we also need to make sure that
we solve the problem of bundling or not, how to link, and the security
concern.

If people have more candidate scripting languages, please speak!

Greets,

Asger