On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:

> Alejandro disagrees until more research has been done.
> That makes sense to me, so Alejandro, what things do you
> think we should investigate now to progress further?

The first time we were considering to adopt a new gui toolkit to switch
to, we wrote a comparison table to put toguether all the advantages and
disadvantages and we decided to keep xforms (a year before gnome and kde).

I think we should select few serious candidates and evaluate things like:

- compatibility between versions
- what is necessary to, both, use it embeded or external
- how easy is to learn it for novices
- simplicity (scheme syntax is simple but confuse for non experts)

> - What technical approach should be adopt -
>   embedment or external spawns with communication through pipes or sockets?
>
> The choice of scripting language depends on the second question.

If we use it externally through the lyx server (using either pipes or
sockets), there's no limit, whe could use almost anything. This gives
me an idea:

- we should choice as our official scripting language one that is simple
  and that can be included in lyx so users don't have to install a bunch
  of libraries.

- this language would be aimed only to those that knows what are they
  doing, given that we would replace with it some critical lyxfunc
  functions.

- some critical and unsecure functions would be allowed only by
  this way and not by the server.

- the server should be powerful and safe enough to allow people wrote
  their own external script front end using whatever they want, all of them
  optative to the rest of the users.

> If we go for an embedded solution, we also need to make sure that
> we solve the problem of bundling or not, how to link, and the security
> concern.

do someone know how the plugins stuff in the Gimp works?
Maybe that could give us some ideas.

Alejandro