Jean-Marc has been bugging me to make the reLyX man page into a reLyX
document, so that it could be included in the Help menu. (Of course, if
you're going to be using the fancy arguments to reLyX, then you need to
call it from the command line anyway. But of course all that will change when
Asger fixes the Import form so that you can give options to the reLyX command
called from within LyX :)

I had despaired of doing so. There's a pod2latex program, and I tried running
reLyX on its output. Unfortunately, pod2latex is latex209 (isn't that lame?!
And this thing comes with the Perl distribution!), so by the time it got
through reLyX it was *really* ugly.

Then I though I could use the fancy new sgml utilities, but from discussions
with José, it didn't sound very possible. José suggested, however, that it
would be easy for a Perl expert (*blush* :) to modify pod2latex to output LyX
instead. (Especially if that Perl expert knew how to convert latex to lyx!)

Well, I'm happy to report that I did a major hack job on pod2latex, and my
pre-alpha version of pod2lyx actually works! Of course, I've been using it on
reLyX.pod, so anything not included in that isn't supported. Nonetheless, it
means I'm able to attach reLyX.lyx (gzipped). Which is legal LyX and produces
legal LaTeX, which really surprises me.

Do me a favor and take a look at it. Are there things I need to translate
differently, or could we include it just like this in lyxdoc? Are there typos?

When I find the time, I'd like to make some additions. As long as we're
turning it into a lyxdoc, I can add table of contents, e.g.

I guess the only question now is whether it's better to continue editing it as
a pod page or a LyX doc. I guess the answer is that José is going to have
support for a "man page" linuxdoc (OK, I don't really know what that means)
which means I"ll have the best of both worlds. I.e., we'll have a lyxdoc, but
also be able to export a man page for someone to call if they're using reLyX
from the command line. Great!

-Amir

reLyX.lyx.gz