Amir> Then I though I could use the fancy new sgml utilities, but from
Amir> discussions with José, it didn't sound very possible. José
Amir> suggested, however, that it would be easy for a Perl expert
Amir> (*blush* :) to modify pod2latex to output LyX
Amir> instead. (Especially if that Perl expert knew how to convert
Amir> latex to lyx!)

Excellent idea! And I like the result.

Amir> Well, I'm happy to report that I did a major hack job on
Amir> pod2latex, and my pre-alpha version of pod2lyx actually works!
Amir> Of course, I've been using it on reLyX.pod, so anything not
Amir> included in that isn't supported. Nonetheless, it means I'm able
Amir> to attach reLyX.lyx (gzipped). Which is legal LyX and produces
Amir> legal LaTeX, which really surprises me.

I wish I was so impressive I could impress myself.

Amir> Do me a favor and take a look at it. Are there things I need to
Amir> translate differently, or could we include it just like this in
Amir> lyxdoc? Are there typos?

Would it be possible to make it have a real title instead of this
stupid first section? To have some of the text in tt font when
necessary (even if it is not visible in the Man)? To avoid having
UPPERCASE section titles.

In short, I'd like to have the best of both worlds: a man page which
looks like a man page, and a LyX document which looks like a document.

Amir> I guess the only question now is whether it's better to continue
Amir> editing it as a pod page or a LyX doc. I guess the answer is
Amir> that José is going to have support for a "man page" linuxdoc
Amir> (OK, I don't really know what that means) which means I"ll have
Amir> the best of both worlds. I.e., we'll have a lyxdoc, but also be
Amir> able to export a man page for someone to call if they're using
Amir> reLyX from the command line. Great!

Until a man page class exists, I think you should continue developping
the pod version. Besides, having a pod2lyx script could appeal to perl
hackers... in particular if we add pod support into LyX (how difficult
would that be?).