>> yes, I sort of remember seeing this somewhere but wasn't able to
>> find it when I looked for it... This seems to be the standard way
>> to do the job. I think the only advantage over a perl line #!perl
>> would be a more helpful error message, am I wrong? Both eval
>> ... and #!perl require that perl is in PATH to work...

Andre'> #!perl does not work at all, I think, even if perl is in
Andre'> $PATH.  In this place an absolute path is required.

To enter a bit in this discussion, let me say that the problem is not
to find perl, but to know how perl >= 5.002 is named. At my site,
'perl' is perl 4.0036 to avoid breaking a lot of old scripts that
people use. Therefore perl 5.002 is perl5.

Thus, getting the right version of perl (which is important for reLyX,
but maybe not for lyxexport...) has to be done separately, unless the
test which is done by configure can be done at each startup (but this
would take a lot of time...).