>> Andre'> #!perl does not work at all, I think, even if perl is in
>> Andre'> $PATH.  In this place an absolute path is required.
>>
>> To enter a bit in this discussion, let me say that the problem is
>> not to find perl, but to know how perl >= 5.002 is named.

Andre'> How does autoconf handle that case? It doesn't look simple...
Andre'> Well, one could always check a list of possible name - but
Andre'> ouch!!

That's what it does actually. It tries, in this order
  perl perl5 perl5.002 perl5.003 perl5.004 perl5.005
and executes 'require 5.002;exit' on each of them. I agree that this
would be very time intensive if done at each run.

Another fun idea would be that configure could find the right perl,
and then do a
  ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/share/lyx/thegoodperl

With this hack, the name thegoodperl in lyx lib directory would always
point to a working perl. However, this is so complicated that I
suspect it will not work... (and also OS/2 does not do symlinks).