In a flash of brilliance, I replaced all of my commas with comma-space,
to get rid of some prior editing problems where the spaces were lost
(ok, not the brightest thing to do on a 486, that took a while :)

But this gave me many cases of double spaces in the document--and they
won't go away.  I've tried to use find & replace to switch space-space
to space, but it responds with, "string not found."

And I can't use another editor, as I have program output which relies
on double spaces inside some of my figures. . . .

They seem to be harmless once they're passed by latex, but paranoia is
catching up with me.  Is there a way to remove them?

rick