On Sat, 09 Oct 1999 06:57:22 +0900, Shigeru Miyata wrote:

>?  It is not perfect, lib/reLyX/configure still requires additional
>workaround.

This will be the most static script. I don't see many problems here.

>But I think this is the right direction.
>How do you think?

Even though I always 'hated' Rexx because it incarnates old IBM
mainframe computing, even simple things need much writing and it is
overly complex (IMHO a lot more complicated than C), m4 isn't any
better (in the sense of clear, obvious and well structured).
Maintaining Rexx is now simpler and doesn't steal too much time,
because of the existing configure.cmd template.

Nevertheless, a working uniform GNU auto* stuff suite for every system
would be preferable. At least autoconfig is working and does need only
limited polishing of the Makefiles by hand. Sure, compilation out of
the box is only possible with imake, which in turn has no real
possibility to individually test boxes for brokenness (and ugly
Makefiles).
Nevertheless for emx, where the system is uniform and the templates are
well done and (thanks to friendly Dr. Holger Veith) fixes will soon be
standard, so that you won't need tests, this would be the best and sole
out-of-the-box solution. (I was able to easily setup even old and
broken code; the remaining debugging then was relatively simple).

And remember the suggestion of Hung-Chi Chu (who in a kind of porting
frenzy in this way was able to port as a hobby within a year auto**
stuff, gimp, enlightenment, gnome, etc.):

'Take the config.am, write an Imakefile from it and run xmkmf -a ! Then
compare it with the result of the auto** tools, add the necessary
OS2ARCHITECTURE hooks. Normally most will be setup right. '

As a conclusion: Provide both possibilites for LyX. Provide an
(unsupported!) Imakefile as a fallback, update it only when you are
bored and let those try who want to try.

Regards,
        Arnd