Kayvan> On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 07:03:38PM -0400, Bobby de Vos wrote:
>> I think I may have found the problem. It only dumps core when I run
>> as root, having run su - from a user account. lyx cannot open the
>> display in this case. If lyx can open the display, ie I run su from
>> a user account, or as a user, lyx runs fine. So maybe you want to
>> see if the display is available, otherwise quit with a message like
>> netscape does. thefox:~# netscape Error: Can't open display:

Kayvan> Hmmm... That's strange. This is what happens for my Redhat 6.0
Kayvan> installation with xforms-0.88 and my lyx-1.0.4 RPM installed:

Kayvan> [kayvan@satyr ~]$ su - Password: [root@satyr /root]# echo
Kayvan> $DISPLAY

Kayvan> [root@satyr /root]# lyx lyx: Can't open display LyX: unable to
Kayvan> access X display, exiting [root@satyr /root]#

Note that a typical problem when using the glibc 2.0 version of xforms
on a glibc 2.1 system is that it core dumps when trying to write error
messages on the console. This might be the problem here...