On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Kayvan A. Sylvan wrote:

> So, I agree with Mate: It is the sysadmin's responsibility to fix root's
> PATH when adding non-standard components to the system.
>
> The real fix is to repackage sgmltools as an RPM (it's really quite simple)
> or to fix root's PATH if you insist on having applications in /usr/local

[...]
> Well... In this case, then, tetex-lyx does the right thing. The addition
> of local packages in /usr/local is a non-standard customization that must
> be accompanied by the appropriate change to root's PATH.

[...]
> I agree.

OK, we all agree then.

Unfortunately, all to often contributed .rpms (i.e. not officially part of
RedHat) are installed into /usr/local not /usr.

I would have packed sgmltools-2.0.x up as an rpm but version 2.0.3 is not
yet out and the cvs version did not install properly on my system
(/etc/sgml did not get updated correctly and some files were missing in
/usr/local/share/sgml). I had to copy some files manually to complete
the installation. Other users seem to have trouble with sgmltools-2.0.x as
well, see messages in this list last week.

We should make sure an sgmltools-2.0.3 rpm (compatible with your
tetex-lyx rpm) is available when it is finally released. I'll try to
package it up then if noone else does it.

Horst