> You are probably right with both assumptions. However, the result is a
> hack *and* not what a 'native' LaTeX speaker would expect. I'd rather
> admit a shortcoming than to hack around. Some day we might be able to
> display arbitrary bitmaps in any place.

Doing a hack now will not prevent us from doing it right later.

> What's wrong then with the 'clean solution'? You type a \varepsilon,
> you see a \varepsilon, you get a \varepsilon?

Well, the point of LyX is that it can display something like math
better than for instance Emacs can.  This includes symbols.  If
the math is displayed correctly in LyX, it's much easier to understand
it and find bugs in it.

Greets,

Asger