>      About i18n, I've read the  "encoding.lyx"  article written by Asger
> Alstrup Nielsen.  (By the way, the file is no longer available at the URL
> where I got it before.  Is it no longer available?)  The article is

Good question.  Lgb, what happened with the old ftp.devel.lyx.org content?

>      For translations in menus/messages (ie. excluding documentations)
> which are encoded in multi-byte encoding, eg for Asian languages, isn't
> it better that these translations should be encoded in Unicode?

Yes, this is probably better if gettext can support this.

Regarding the menus, there are plans to move the text from the
gettext framework to separate configuration files.  This work
has actually been done in the old development branch, so all
we need to do is to backport it to the new development branch.
This is on schedule for 1.1.5, I think.
When this is done, it would be natural to rethink the I18N issue,
and see if we can handle Unicode in the configuration files that
control the menus (and the other configuration files.)

Regarding the po-files:  I don't think gettext can handle Unicode
natively, so we probably have to use UTF8 or a similar 8-bit encoding.

>      But of course, this would raise a second question: how is one
> supposed to edit in Unicode?  With what editor?  I just know yudit but I
> just managed to make it work partially.  And how are .po files saved?  In
> utf-7, utf-8 or UCS-2?  Probably not in UCS-2, I think, but I might be
> wrong.  Who knows?

I don't know how we should handle this issue. I hope yudit is ready for
the task.

Greets,

Asger