"Seak, Teng-Fong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, newer versions of XFree86 support already natively Unicode, so
> do a lot of commercial X (if not all).

It also introduces Big5 support.  Other multibyte encodings have been
supported for quite some time.

>                                         So I suppose characters (eg in
> menus) are displayed using Unicode.

What gain do we have?

>                                      However, people still use Big5 as
> traditional Chinese encoding.  Convesion from Big5 to and from Unicode
> isn't quite straightforward as from Latin-1 to and from Unicode.  If the
> translation is done in Big5, there will be a lot of unnecessary
> conversion Big5 <-> Unicode.

On the contrary.  In order to communicate with existing applications,
people continue using traditional encodings as document languages.
So if we use Unicode here, then we will have to have unnecessary
conversions.

>                               That's why I ask if it's better to use
> Unicode as the underlying encoding.  I take Chinese as an example, but
> the argument can be very well applied to Japanese, Korean and any
> language encodings other than Latin-1.
[...]
> And how are .po files saved?

Any encoding you like as far as it is a superset of 7 bit ASCII.
(utf-8, EUC, Big5, Shift-JIS, KS...)
However, FYI, XForms cannot draw 16 bit character strings.

Regards,
        SMiyata