Allan> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Michael Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> please add the following lines to 'lyxsum.C':
>>
>> using std::FILE;
Allan> etc. etc. etc.

Allan> Is there a compiler flag for gcc to force namespace checking? I
Allan> tried the info and man pages (admittedly for egcs-1.1.2) but
Allan> couldn't find a single mention of "namespace" or "name space".

Allan> Then we wouldn't have to wait for Michael to tell us which
Allan> things we've left out. Or are we supposed to now be coding as
Allan> std::pair<bool, std::string> and so on?

No, we add currently "use std::pair" when needed. In fact, _I_ add
them, since I have access to a compiler (dec cxx) which wants them.
>From what I know gcc just pretends that std:: is the global namespace.
The problem with things like std::FILE is that cxx does not want it,
since C things are not declared in std::. In fact, cxx does not even
have <cfoo> headers (because they say their semantics are not
correctly defined, in particular wrt namespaces), so I just provided
some for this case (in src/cheaders). I could maybe modify the headers
to put everyting into std:: namespace, if it is the right thing to do.
Does SGI STL declare C functions into std::?