On 13 Jan 2000, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> Allan Rae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> | > You know that after the addition of a realy regex class we can do
> | > things like
> | >
> | >  "*.(lyx|lyx,v)"
> |
> | But do you provide:
> |     regex  operator+(regex, regex)
> |
> | to make it easier to build such an expression?
>
> No, but how can you be sure that such a concat of regex's will yield a
> valid regex?
>
> or do you mean that it should result in something like:
> (regex|regex)

I mean how do come up with your suggested:
     "*.(lyx|lyx,v)"

in the first place?   My original idea was let the lyx core say:
        "I want files called *.lyx"

it would then ask the VC support:
        "What can you handle?"

to which it _might_ reply:
        "*.lyx,v"

If a user doesn't have RCS installed there's no point in the VC support
saying: "*.lyx,v"

The idea being that the LyX core should not know about what the various
VC systems use as filename extensions it should ask the VC support for
that otherwise we end up adding support for XYZ-VC which uses ",xyz" as a
file extension and we have to search through the lyx core to find where to
change the filename lookup instead of just writing it in the new VC
backend.

Hence the need for operator+ -- preferably addition not concatenation.

Allan. (ARRae)