Ok its Friday and I am in the mood for trouble,
so I ask -

   Why GUI independence ?

What's the point of GUI independence, why not instead focussing on
a) moving away from XForms, because
   - XForms is insufficient for our long term needs, XForms technology is simple
but doesn't really provide as much
      functionality as most modern toolkits. Drag and drop as well as cut and
paste will probably never be implemented
      satisfactory. XForms has many other disadvantages though it is fast and
simple. Interoperability with Gtk, Motif,
      Qt/KDE or (g.h.u.) Windows seem unthinkable today with XForms.
   - With such a small developer team and so much of a project, the toolkit
should really be as sofisticated as possible.
      One should make up ones mind whether the goal is to have a nice, well
functioning application or whether the goal is
      to implement large blocks if basic fuctionality (e.g. Signal/Slot)  that
is actually better implemented in a toolkit. XForms
      deficiencies are the reason for developers having to work around.
   - XForms scares potential developers and potential users away. It is the sole
reason LyX isnt shipped with RedHat nor
      with Mandrake nor Suse (afaik) (dont know about Debian).
   - It is non free and therefore inferior to most other toolkits, it is
impossible to fix bugs and to implement missing
      features.
   - There is no noticable development anymore, the website goes down for weeks
on end,  the whole project seems
      dead to me somehow.
b) pushing the no-GUI version of LyX, i.e. lyx --export latex foo.lyx, or better
pushing towards XML
   - it is an illusion to think that an ncurses version really makes sense, it
is a very marginal feature that blocks development.
     Instead what people have asked for many times is the translation feature.
Actually with switching to XML and an
     appropriate LyX DTD and LaTeX XSL or CSS this would come automatically.
c) decide on a well supported, possibly cross platform alternative toolkit.
   - wxwin is very promising with respect to cross platform, it has many
features but is also missing some functionality
  - Gtk+, since everybody knows this one and there is also a least a Windows
hack available
  - Qt/KDE is objectively the best toolkit available today. There are even IDE's
available for the GUI stuff
d) alternative to c) pick up/take over KLyX and try to merge LyX into KLyX and
dump XForms asap.
    KLyX is afaik not actively developed anymore, the mailing list is close to
dead and I think Jochen is the only person
   working on it occasionally (right Jochen?).
What do yall think ?