Andre> You probably remember Wolfgang Riedel's report on a strange
Andre> feature: You can write \mathrm{\frac{m}{s}} and everything
Andre> works as expected until the file is reloaded (in the next
Andre> session e.g.). Then the \mathrm is gone. If you use
Andre> \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}} everything stays alright.

The reason is that mathed supports font changing for one character at
a time only. Changing that would probably require major work.

Andre> This resembles quite closely a 'feature' that has been annoying
Andre> me for a long time: sometimes \limit or \nolimit disappear when
Andre> loading for no particular reason.

What happens is that mathed has a special handling for these macros
and may not agree with you on the way of using it. I do not know how
difficult this would be to solve.

I think this shows the limit of trying to display arbitrary LaTeX in a
WYSIWIM way. For every feature that one will fix, somebody will come
up with a case where it does not work...