Hi John,

I reconsidered things. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to change the default menu into something that is more like classic.ui (but not completely). The result is something that satisfies neither you nor me.

Nevertheless, at some point in time, we should ask the LyX users (not the developers) what they would like to see as the default. Personally, I think that the traditional Windows/Word/OOo user prefers the classic look & feel but that is left to be proven. Does anybody read the lyx users mailing list regularly? What did the old guys say about the new 1.4 menu structure?

[1] for example: right mouse button context menu, tutorial, adaptive
hints (tell the user how to do what they just did faster), toolbar...
I know that there are very clever ways. But as long as they are not implemented, it is all nothing but a dream.

Michael