Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
>> Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> | class MenuId: public KeyString {};
>> |
>> | class DialogId: public KeyString {};
>> |

>> | We need to take a decision now!
>>
>> No we don't.
>
> That's your opinion.
>
>> We are not in such a hurry.
>
> This back and forth conversion tp/from utf8 during this transition phase
> is a real hassle.

In general yes, but in this case no. In this particular case we are talking
about format names. They never appear in a document, they only appear in
the GUI if somebody wants to edit them, and we have had support for ascii
strings in GUI forever,. I don't see that it will be dropped. I don't see
any reason why a format name should be converted to docstring.

It looks to me as if you want to convert almost everything to docstring.
That would have been better done with some global search/replace. The step
by step conversion only makes sense if you don't do it blindly but look at
each conversion. I already found problematic cases (e.g. where a file
contents is interpreted as UTF8 without knowing the file encoding).

> Taking this decision now will simplify and speed-up
> greatly the transition. We also need quickly the operator that Georg is
> working on (+=, streams, etc).

streams are working now, I'll send the final patch soon.

Georg