Michael Gerz wrote:
was wondering why lyx::Changes::set(lyx::Change const&, int, int)
 is called...

Every time you insert a character, the corresponding change has to be set (even if it is unchanged, because it may be inserted in a region of deleted/inserted text).

i was expecting that changes::set would be called only if change tracking is on. but i don't know anyting about this stuff, so you probably should ignore me...

For doc loading, this mechanism can be optimized. However, I like the sound approach that we have presently. Is 10% a critical factor?

dunno. but opening is slow, especially under windows (it takes atm 8 secs to open the userguide on my 1.67Ghz dual core laptop). 10% is then almost a second...