Bo> I can not see a way to implement dynamic bookmark menu items
Bo> without this stack (regression).

So tell us, why?

OK, use a vector and set bookmark-save x directly, then

1. you will need a lot of shortcuts for 20 bookmarks, currently, we
only need one bookmark-save.
2. you will have 19 disabled menu items if "bookmark-save 20" is used.

To address your problem, I can implement tagged-bookmark. I mean, I
can consider 1/2/3/4/5 or a/b/c/d/e etc as tags to bookmarks, display
the tag before filename, and use 'bookmark-goto tag' to go to a saved
bookmark. This way, I do not have to list invalid bookmarks.

Bo