On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 12:36:11PM +0100, Georg Baum wrote:

> Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2007 09:58 schrieb Enrico Forestieri:

> through
> > >
> > > Making a binary created from patched sources available is very bad IMO.
> >
> > Thanks for your opinion. So, you are saying that if I find that a patch
> > does something useful I should not share it with others.
>
> I admit that my wording above was not really what I meant. Maybe I should
> have taken some more time to write that message.
> I have no problem at all with binaries from patched sources as long as it
> is clearly stated that the sources are patched, and where interested
> people can get the patch. What I don't like at all is making patched
> versions available without clearly stating that it is a patched version,
> because IMO users have a right to know what they use. This does not mean
> that patched versions are not useful, it is only a labelling issue. When
> Uwe distributed installers from patched sources labelled as "LyX 1.4.0"
> (IIRC) I wrote something similar.
> AFAIK we are talking about
> ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.4.3/lyx-1.4.3-cygwin.tar.gz. If not,
> please correct me. That file sits on the official ftp server together with
> binaries from unpatched sources in one directory, and the file
> README.cygwin in that directory only explains that this package is
> unofficial, but not that it is patched. Therefore it is very difficult for
> users to find out that they are not running a vanilla version.

It's very easy, instead. This is clearly stated in the README.txt file
contained in the package. Only, I forgot to add the patch together with
the sources of the other utilities packaged there. I would have sworn I
did that, but after checking it I discovered that I forgot to update the
script used to build the package.

I was trying to be careful about the GPL, but made a mistake, that's all.
Moreover, I find your criticism quite instrumental. See below.

> > > Either this patch is for your personal convenience, then you should not
> > > make the binary available, or it is useful in general, then the patch
> > > should be included in the official version.
> >
> > I find this to be a somewhat hypocritical attitude, as I tried to have
> > accepted a similar patch but it was rejected. But maybe when you say
> > "useful in general" you mean that it must be useful for all platforms
> > an not for a particular one (which is not yours).
>
> No I don't mean that. I mean "useful for cygwin users in general". IIRC I
> was the only one besides you who had opinions on this patch. I stated two
> or three times already that I don't understand anymore what external_path
> currently does and that I don't care anymore whether it exists or not.
> Therefore this statement was not hypocritical at all, but meant seriously.

No, I still maintain that it is hypocritical, because the patch was
already rejected in the past and, nonetheless, you suggest that it
should be included in the official version if "it useful in general".
I think that this is clearly a case of pulling someone's leg.

> IIRC Lars had some concerns about some #ifdef __CYGWIN__ in the code. I
> share these concerns and would not like to have them at all in the main
> code, but I am sure that this could be avoided by putting this stuff in
> the os namespace and using a well defined interface (with possible noop
> functions on other platforms).

I find amusing your specific mention of __CYGWIN__ here, while forgetting
_WIN32 and __APPLE__, but I understand that _WIN32 and __APPLE__ are not
instrumental to your goal. Indeed, I think that you want to upset only me.

> > > I don't know if the README in the package talks about the patch and
> where to
> > > get it, but if it does not then you are even breaking the GPL.
> >
> > Now you are going a bit above the lines (even for a Friday).
> > Please, find attached the patch in question. As you can see it does not
> > introduce changed behaviour or anything else. Perhaps I forgot to put it
> > on the wiki, and you could have suggested that I should do it, instead
> > of going through a hideous legalese. But I take it as a Friday statement.
>
> I admit that I was upset when I wrote the message, so I could have written
> that in a more friendlier way, but please note also that it was factually
> correct.

I don't know what I did to upset you this time. Sometimes you write
something in a joking way without thinking how it will be interpreted.
I think this is a problem with email. However, the point is not the
factual correctness but the fact that it was intended to be irritating.
See, even if you are correct, I mainly notice the intention to wound my
feelings.

> Of course I know that it never was your intention to break the
> GPL, and that you would send the patch to anybody who asked for it.
> Unfortunately that is not enough: What is missing is a hint in the package
> itself where to get the patch (I just searched for such a hint, but did
> not find one). So can you please add it?

I attach here a new version of the README.cygwin file intended to
replace the existing one. I cannot do it, so someone else will have to.
I hope this is enough, otherwise if any bigot still thinks that this is
a blatant infringement of the GPL, he can ask that the outrageous package
be removed at once.

--
Enrico
The archive lyx-1.4.3-cygwin.tar.gz contains an unofficial cygwin version

The directory cygwin-package is a repository for the official cygwin
Qt3/X11 version of LyX. You don't need dowloanding the files contained in this
directory (and indeed you shouldn't) in order to install the official cygwin
version of LyX. Instead, you should use the setup.exe cygwin installation
tool, point it to your nearest cygwin mirror and select LyX for installation.