On 1/26/07, Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm trying to answer to some of the statememts in this thread:

Thanks.

It was surely my fault that I modified the appearance of LyX in
my installer in the past, but this is now no longer the case.

Great.

Joost doesn't deliver the Ghostscript and ImageMagick files,
his installer will download and install
the programs separately. This has some disadvantages: The users
need to download more stuff than
needed, because we don't need for example all ImageMagick files. So in the end
the user has
downloaded more bytes than with my solution (but this isn't that important in
these times).

Download size is not that important, and having full installations can
give users a peace of mind. Also, in theory, lyx can function without
Ghostscript and ImageMagick.

More important is the support: I started the installer without
having the needed programs included
but this lead to lots of unnecessary bug reports. ....< ignored>
version together with the new LyX version.

Why can not we download a certain version of imagemagick from
sourceforge? It might not be necessary but we can give users options
to download
1. last known old but tested version of imagemagick (default)
2. the newest version of it
3. if IM exists but is different from what user choice (1 or 2), ask
user if he wants to re-download and override it.

This sounds a bit complicated but is IMHO better than bundling. You
see, in this way, you only need to update several lines to update IM,
and IM files is not needed to build a windows installer.

With Joost's method the separately installed IM remains
on the system and isn't updated,

This is my proposed 3. (Is it difficult to check the version of IM?)

the uninstaller also don't ask the user to remove IM together with LyX.

I guess this is easy to do. Let us mark this as a bug report for the
official installer.

When a user has a previous installed IM I don't touch it,
so the included IM is only used when
nothing was found.

This is 3.

Another aspect is the redundancy: I'm not anymore a fan of downloading all
needed things on demand.
I often had the case that one of the FTP-servers were down or whatever and I
got bug reports about
this. As I explainded before, the overall download size is the same, if you
include it or not, but
including can reduce the size and assures that actual and tested versions are
used by the LyXers.

Both sides have valid reasons but the lyx-developers have reached an
agreement on how to proceed, namely the official installer's way. If
you step back a little bit, you will find that the other option is not
so unacceptable.

The programs delivered with this are completely
independent from LyX, we don't need to take care about them so I don't
understand the resentments.

Why can not they be added as optional downloads? I am worrying about
maintenance and license issues. It is much easier to change a link
than bundling a new version of something, but not bundling them
directly keeps us away from potential license troubles.

My solution would be pages like:

Jabref is blah blah and blah. It is used blah blah. Then an option to
download it.

I'm not joking but after some of these emails I added a link to
uninstall LyX in the start menu below the link to the lyx.exe.)

This is semi-standard. I see half of my problems do this.

What I really miss is the support: Joost for example changed the lyx.exe to
lyxc.exe to hide the
appearing command line window. This is a nice feature but nobody knows it.
Users asked where's the
debug output, why is lyx.exe so small, etc.

It is common to have small starting program, and debug output is not
supposed to be seen for normal users.

Another example: We discussed last week how to get rid
of the lyx.bat file and now Joost wrote me that he did this already - fine but
how and when, and why
does nobody know this? Users might perhaps have problems with this, ask on the
list but we couldn't
answer them.

I was also surprised but he did say a while ago that he was working on
this. I did not know when he finished this though.

I'm not speaking against Joost, I really appreciate his work, he pushed us a
huge step forward with
his work on Aspell, Aiksaurus, etc.
Create an installer that you want but support it! I'll remove my code ASAP from
SVN, sorry that my
doing provoke this debate.

So you still want to keep your installer instead of

1. list the things you consider missing in the official installer
2. discuss with us what would be the best way to go
3. work with Joost to implement them

The whole lyx community will benefit from a single installer and I
will certainly appreciate your willingness to work on an unfamiliar
code base. Please reconsider your decision because it causes confusion
among lyx users, make Joost unwilling to work on the official one.

> You mean you turn on miktex/update-on-the-fly for users? This is
> another example of maintenance burden of third-party applications.
> What if a new version of miktex is released?

Do you use MiKTeX? The feature was partly build in for our needs. What's the
problem? The installer
supports MiKTeX 2.4 (that also has this feature in a slightly different way) as
well as MiKTeX 2.5.
I worked together with the MiKTeX developer to fine tune this feature and it is
ready since MiKTeX 2.5.

I do hope this miktex feature can work better and appreciate your work.

> Also, there is no way to guarantee that your bundled
> file will work as expected.

The bundled file can be used if you have no access to the internet but want to
use all packages LyX
supports. And of course it is guaranteed that it works.

What I meant is something like:
lyx bundle X.1
miktex has Y.1
miktex upgraded to Y.2 that requires X.2

I mean, it is OK to bundle things are not in miktex (like dvipost),
but not things are already in there, because the benefit/maintenance
cost ratio is too small.

> Again, make them available for all platforms or none.

This is already the case but they have to be registered to MiKTeX that people
can use them with LyX.
You find many questions about this in the users list "document class cv not
found", etc.

I had this idea a long time ago, why can not lyx set TEXINPUT
internally being system TEXINPUT + lyx's own tex repository?

 From the questions above it seems to me that not everybody who criticize me is
using LyX with
MiKTeX and have never tested my installer. I don't think it's fair to judge
something you haven't
tested.

I have tested both installers. It is true that I very rarely use
miktex since I rarely use windows.

Bo