Lars> But I thought that we set the \labelwidth to the with of the
Lars> actual text. (- hfills). There is something I don't understand
Lars> here. Is it so that the paragraph indent goes out of scope
Lars> before it is used?

The width could be set to some length that is not the largest label
width, and it should still work.

Lars> | | Lars> Hmm, what happens if we just use: | | Lars>
Lars> \renewcommand{\makelabel}[1]{##1} | | We'd have to try it :) I
Lars> guess the alignement is not the right one | anymore. What was
Lars> the problem with the original form. Would using | \hfil (a weak
Lars> \hfill) work?

Lars> how weak?

If there is an \hfill on the same line that an \hfil, the \hfil will
have zero length.

Lars> The problem with the \hfill is that it is impossible to right
Lars> align the label.

The reason is probably that the List environment is not supposed to be
used for that...