>>    1. When choosing File > New from template LyX is VERY slow. It takes
>>    about 25 seconds before the dialogue window appears.
>
> I've seen that too, and for a long time. I thought it was because of
> network problems with my Windows installation (when I unplug the network
> the file dialog comes up immediately). I think this is due to some of my
> share drives which are loosely configured. In any case this is a
> Windows/Qt problem, not a LyX one; but we surely need to find a solution
> as it is very annoying.

I'm also annoyed by this and the reason is that LyX1.5svn scans all directories before opening the dialog. LyX 1.4.4 doesn't do this so the dialog pops up immediately.

I'm sure that this is the reason because on my home PC, the dialog opens in 1.5svn after 1-2 seconds but at work 5-10 seconds are needed when I have connected network drives and also only 1-2 seconds when I disconnected the network drives.
When using LyX 1.4.4 it makes no difference if the network drives are connected.

I don't understand why LyX scans all directories because the network drives don't contain any LyX or third-party stuff needed by LyX or could this be a Qt bug in the file open dialog routine?

regards Uwe