Martin Vermeer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:21:48 +0200
> Jan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > LyX needs to avoid all special key combinations - right now it easier
> > to get started
> > with Word, so many people use it even knowing the alternative! LyX
> > needs more users in the general public who spread easy to use programs
> > - people who like difficult things are more likely to directly code in
> > latex and are partially lost as lyx users anyway.
>
> Use the toolbars instead... delete row works fine in a multi-row equation.
> Special key combinations serve experienced users.

Agreed.

> > Remove ALL special combinations! Anything has to be logical to a first
> > time lyx users
> > otherwise there will be no second time.
>
> No. Nobody forces a first-time user to use them.

Exactly. Freedom of choice is the key word(s).

> > I am fighting to get LyX mainstream among all people I interact with
> > and would not recommend SWP anymore as it is dying bread. But as long
> > as deleting a line in a multiline equation requires the tiniest bit of
> > knowledge it will not be an easy sell...
>
> It don't get no simpler than a math or tabular toolbar popping up all
> by itself offering this option as a pretty coloured icon.

The problem with automatic toolbars popping up only when they are needed are
that first time user's of LyX don't know that they will pop up, and when they
search for a math symbol to include they don't realize that they have to click
on the insert math button first to get the toolbars to appear. Then they get
frustrated, closes LyX and uninstalls it. It is better to have the math
toolbars visible from the beginning, and then if somoen only want them to pop
up when they are needed, he could choose this himself in the preferences.

Andreas