I missed this fact. So what should be the name to announce it?

Something like 'an alternative windows installer with blah blah', with
filenames lyx-1.5.0beta3-AltInstaller....

Do you really want to have it on the LyX-server? If yes, there are two issues:

As long as your installers are not official, you can have these
issues. However, after the two installers eventually merged, you would
better seek consensus among developers, at least installer developers
before doing these.

- I ship the powerdot.layout and maintain it also because I often got requests
for this, the last
time this week. I still think we should ship it with LyX, if you don't agree, I
have to put it out
of my installer before it can be on the lyx-server.

I think so so please add a bug report and ask Jose to add it.

- I removed the update view PDF button again for the following reason:

As far as I remember, most developers are against this.

I can reintroduce it but then have to use Joost's solution with the permanently
running program in
the background, otherwise the update view button does nothing when it is
pressed.

This can be discussed later.

I'm unsure what to do because people complained about the permanently running
program and also to my
previous solution where the button was there but inactive.
Ideas?

Sorry, No idea yet. :-)

Btw. Bo, my installer can now also be build via scons by executing the file
"build-all.nsh".

What do you mean by that? 'via scons' means building the installers
from scons, not makensis. With two supporting packages in place, I can
build official installers by
scons installer bundle=1

Cheers,
Bo