Georg Baum wrote:
>> I didn't. I meant it should copy it to the NEW temporary directory, e.g.:
>> /tmp/lyx_098weras/lyx_tmpbuf0/file.html.conversion/
>> which is where the converted files will be dumped.
>>
> Why not do that in LyX (with the copier to fix paths of included files) and
> call the converter with the copied file, with the current working directory
> being the new temp dir? In fact I assumed that you did that. In theory it
> wastes some disk space and time for copying, but I believe that you won't
> notice that in practice and the benefit of not having to create a wrapper
> script outweighs the disadvantage.

That's the approach I'm now taking, more or less, as Enrico found yet
further problems. He also suggested a simpler way, namely: note the time
when we start the conversion; then look at the modification times of the
files after the conversion to see which ones got generated. There could
be an issue if the converter runs really fast, so I'll probably end up
also having to keep a simple list of what files were there in the first
place. In any event, the idea is then to have convert() return the list
of generated files as a vector<FileName> (thus implementing an earlier
suggestion of yours, though more generally), and the Exporter can do
with that list as it will. This is indeed simpler, since if we copy
everything to the new tempdir, then we still need to know what we put
there and what the converter put there, and of course it's possible the
converter will over-write some of the files we put there, which may then
need to be copied back to the tempdir for the next converter to use, so
we need to check the modification times anyway.

There is an issue here about the copiers, since they expect to get a
single file to play with. (At this point, it seems pretty obvious this
won't make 1.5.0, by the way. This was supposed to be a lot simpler! And
there are other bugs to fix that are more pressing.) Files with the
right extension can be passed to the copier for the relevant format. But
other generated files---e.g., png's in the case of htlatex---would need
either just to be copied directly or passed to copier for some format
associated with that extension. I think the former may be enough, as
"associated files" will probably not be the kinds of files that need
internal stuff changed, though they could be, in principle. Thoughts?

Input always welcome.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto