Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Richard> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Lars> | I prefer "No document open!"
>
> Lars> Sounds strange. Is that even english?
>
> Lars> I thought that 'No' usually required plural (unless you want to
> Lars> give it a different meaning.)
>
>>> I do not know... So where are the native English speakers?
>>>
> Richard> "No document open" is fine. E.g., "No player scored more than
> Richard> one goal". The plural is ok there, too.
>
> What is best? We have "No documents open!" now, the principle of least
> effort would advise to keep it like that...

I guess I prefer the singular. The plural suggests that documentS should
have been open---that this was the expected situation. But it's a very
subtle judgment, and probably subject to dialectical variation.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto