Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
 update toc and list of xxx seems to me an expensive operation. Can
it be done on demand? I mean, maybe we can add a
'refresh'/'regenerate' button in the outline panel; and update
'list of listings' and such only if this menu item is clicked.

This is how it used to be in the good old time, but Abdel decided that
automatic was cooler...
Cooler, definitely, and this is what users will expect, especially with the navigate menu. So there is also the question about how one might regenerate the navigation menu. (The call to TocBackend::update() and then emitting the structureChanged() signal accomplishes both tasks, so far as I can see.) I suppose one could add a menu entry to the navigation menu that would regenerate it, too. We'd also need to regenerate before doing a goTo().

This is the original bug 3719, which causes lots of problems. For example: Open a file with some sections and such in it; open the TOC; go to the middle of some section; add a couple paragraphs. Now hit the up or down arrow to try to move the section. Nothing happens, except that the highlighting moves. If I keep doing this, I can sometimes trigger a crash:
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/../../../../include/c++/4.1.1/debug/vector:199:
   error: attempt to subscript container with out-of-bounds index 35, but
   container only holds 35 elements.

Objects involved in the operation:
sequence "this" @ 0x0xb54b600 {
 type = N15__gnu_debug_def6vectorIwSaIwEEE;
}
But I don't have a recipe....

rh

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto