The problem is that, when mouse hovering, no text painting should be
needed, only background. But, because of current architectur where text
is drawn _after_ background, we are forced to do the text painting.
Changing this (using text on transparent background painting) basically
needs a rewrite of rowpainter hence a 1.6 business).
Now, in case when mouse hovering hapens just after a SinglePar update
and at the same screen location, grey areas are drawn before and after
the current paragraph. I am not sure I am clear...

No. :-)

But I have not experienced this bug for a day after I applied the
patch, so I guess the patch (and your analysis) is correct.

Bo