On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Joost Verburg wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 Are aspell dictionaries the only thing that we should provide?
 Are there and components used by the downloading installers that we should
 provide a (backup) location for?

Only Aspell is used on Windows.

What about some of the components themselves? I have some (vague) memory of this being discussed. (The original location of the components should probably the primary place to look for them, but we could supply a backup location for the installer. Not necessarily for all components, but for some of them).

 If it's more then aspell dictionaries, how about a directory tree that
 looks something like this:

 * contrib/
 ** windows/
 *** aspell/
 **** 6.0/    (dictionaries for aspell6.0)
 *** ? what else might there be?

The version number of the dictionary format (6) is already in the name. If there would ever be a new Aspell version with a different dictionary format (which is very unlikely), the dictionaries will be uploaded to ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/aspell7-windows/

The purpose with a tree was to make it easy to synchronize the entire tree between different locations. So I'd still suggest something like:

* contrib/
** windows/     <- the directory that will be synchronized
*** aspell6

A better name than 'windows' could be used of course. Perhaps something like 'windows-installer-support'. It doesn't really have to be a short URI.

/Christian