>>>        Regarding the \R vs. \AR --- I believe that is Arabi-specific.
>>
>>     Yes but without arabi you can't typeset Arabic and Farsi.
>
> I think that's not true. There are plans to add ARABI support for Arabic but AFAIU (Mostafa knows > better) the situation is as follows:
>
> Now:
> Arabic: uses ARABTEX only
> Farsi: uses ARABI only

I don't understand. Currently Arabi is needed for Arabic. It provides for example the cp1256 input encoding (was former bug 2927). (And when the user has installed arabi its files will be used. (You don't need to call the arabi package in the preamble to use it.))

Mostafa, do you have infos about the other messages in this thread?:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg120935.html

regards Uwe