On 3 Aug 2007, at 16:14, Richard Heck wrote:

I think it could be confusing to switch to a document that wasn't the same as the one on disk that you thought you were opening.

I just checked: even emacs just switches to the already-edited version without comment. One of the guiding principles of Unix is `Standard is better than better', though I realise LyX isn't just for Unix now ;-)

From BOFH a few years ago: new login message `Yes means no and no means yes. Delete all files (Y/N)?'

This dialogue is a minefield because the user is forced to chose one of two options, either of which might be destructive; this is compounded by the fact that the words used to describe either action are easily misinterpreted.

Why would a user choose to open a file that they knew was already open, anyway? In my case it's invariably because I've forgotten it was already open. If I wanted to revert to the version on disk, I would always exit the open one without saving.

If you want to warn the user that the document is not the clean version on disk, perhaps a warning popup `The file is already open <OK>'. The user is now out of danger...

--
Stephen Cornell  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  +44-113-3432899
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology