On 4 Aug 2007, at 20:14, Andre Poenitz wrote:

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 10:52:46PM +0300, Martin Vermeer wrote:
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 02:04:06PM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
 Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 11:19:58AM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:

This causes a lot of frustration to me, because often I only
decide that an equation has to be multi-line when I'm already
half-way through typing it. When this happens, I have to type
CMD-return, then CMD-z to undo the creation of the new line,
re-position the cursor, and type CMD-return again :-(

I agree that this isn't the most useful behavior...for me, but
obviously someone did choose this. Andre---do you have a view?

I think this is pretty old logic and everytime one trie to change
something in this area people start crying foul.

 Yes, people get used to these sorts of things, and if you change
 them, they get upset.

Yet in this case I agree with Stephen. It didn't use to be this way,
and I find it _really_ exasperating.

And actually it doesn't look like it used to...

So it should be changed...

Andre'

The seed of the problem is already there in older versions. In Lyx 1.3.6 for Linux, pressing C-return to convert a single-line equation to a multi-line equation also forgets the cursor position. For instance, if `|' represents the cursor and [] the delimiters of fields then the single-line equation

[A=B|C]

becomes

i.e. the cursor is repositioned at the end of the first field.

In fact, the behaviour in 1.4.* and 1.5.* is exactly the same as if C- return were pressed twice in version 1.3.*. I'd be willing to wager that that is exactly what the code does (sorry, I can't check the code myself as I don't know C++).

To fix the problem, the position of the cursor has to be retained when going from single- to multi-line.

--
Stephen Cornell  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  +44-113-3432899
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology