Helge Hafting wrote:
I have a table with a tall row, because one cell is fixed-width with multiple lines.
In another cell I wanted to place a single symbol, preferably centered
vertically.

I tried changing the column's vertical adjustment, but this had
no effect whatsoever.

Did you try setting the vertical alignment of the fixed width column to "middle"? I find this counterintuitive, but it seems to be how it works.

So I tried forcing my way with insert->vertical space before
and after the symbol. Latex puked on this.

Try setting "protected" on the vertical space. It doesn't seem to cause LaTeX to object (although it also doesn't seem to accomplish much).

Perhaps \vfill in a cell isn't supported by latex - then LyX
ought to disable the insertion as well.

/Paul