Jean-Marc Lasgouttes ha scritto:
Assumption: It is possible to detect whether the most recent preview is
still open. (See first assumption, I believe this is implied by that.)
Unfortunately, this is not really the case in general. This is why we
have two different actions.
Is there a list of external previewers currently used by LyX
on the various platforms ?

Waiting for the process to die would only work for simple apps
like "gv". For example, the default behaviour of acroread is,
on Linux, to open a new window and wait if it is not running,
or to display the requested document into the already running
window, if it is already running, and *exit immediately*.

Though, acroread may be turned to a "gv" behaviour by adding
the option "-openInNewWindow": in such case, it will always
open a new window and wait for it being closed.

Maybe a little investigation may be done on other previewers
in order to understand if they may be forced to such simple
behaviour as well. If this were possible, we could simply wait
for the process to die, the assumption of Darren would be true,
and we could have a single "-view" command that either opens
a new preview or updates the current one (in addition to the
"-update" command that could still be very useful for batch
processing).

   T.