Subject: Re: LyX versus window manager
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:06:33 +0900
From: "R. Lahaye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Angus Leeming wrote:

> Rob> I communicated this to the developer of the window
> Rob> manager (xfce) and got a suprising reply:
>
> Rob>  "[...] the problem reported with Lyx/Xforms is known by Lyx
> Rob>  devel team, listed in their known bugs and is caused by
> Rob>  XForms. This is not related to xfce. [...]"
>
> If things go wrong with xfce and not with other window managers, then I would
> class this as a bug in xfce. Hassle him! He's only trying to reduce his
> workload.

Okay, I think we're gradually closing in on this one.
It's not the window manager (WM), but the WM's feature
of "showing the contents of the window while resizing".

The other WMs I've tried so far did not have this feature.
But now I've compared xfce's and KDE's behaviour with that
feature enabled (only of these two WMs I know how to
dis/enable it).

Result: in both cases the main LyX window screws up, when
a reasonbly sized lyx document is loaded. Resizing fast
horizontally muddles up the right side of the window
(scroll bar area); resizing fast vertically muddles up
the bottom of the window (status bar). This doesn't happen
all the time and seems be related to how fast the
resize is done.

Can you confirm this?
Are you aware of any other WM that can show the window's
contents while resizing?

Unless both WM's contain a similar bug, the question is
"Is this a LyX or an XForms problem/bug?"

Regards,

Rob.