Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:23:01AM +0200, Georg Baum wrote:
Richard Heck wrote:

In the end, I don't think this will be needed. But yes, the
serialization here is a hassle, and it's sheer luck that it isn't a
problem.
How would an optimal/a better solution look like in your opinion?
[Serious question]
Well, there are advantages to the serialization. I can't remember what
they are ;-), but I have seen them.
It is a type question. Passing InsetFooParams directly would mean that the
dispatch mechanism needs to know about all these types, or rather you need
a way to encapsulate them since it is probably not a good idea if some
generic code has to care for the types.

Why do we need the dispatch mechanism for calls into the kernel?

This is of course not needed but there are some fundamentalist over here :-). I too prefer a well defined API access but I am OK with the LFUN provided that we get rid of the serialisation in the kernel -> frontend direction.

That being said, forcing the use of LFUN for frontend to kernel communication has the advantage of proof testing the LFUNs.

Abdel.