Georg Baum wrote:
Andre Poenitz wrote:

How would you have rated the previous GUII architecture?

I would not have implemented it that way, but I never had big problems with
it. Is was in my experience far less a problem than you always made it
appear. Surely implementing a new inset required too many classes, but
creating these was some dull copy/paste/adjust work that you could do when
you needed a break from serious work, since the architecture was well
documented and you could always use existing stuff as a base.

For someone who knows the intricacy of GUII perhaps. I've done a lot of GUI programming and I don't share at all your opinion. Requiring someone to learn Qt and also to learn LyX GUII architecture is too much IMO and that is the very reason why we don't have so much GUI developers.

The unneeded
work for a new inset that would have been saved by a bettter architecture
was _at most_ 1-3 hours. And if the InsetCommand->InsetFoo change would
have had more than cosmetical advantages at the time I tried it I simply
would have implemented the needed controllers.

Far more time is consumed by half finished half documented redesigns of half
finished half documented redesigns. For example, metrics/draw: The first
unfinished redesign I know of happened before 1.4.0, and created among
others bug 1814. The next redesign happened before 1.5.0 and was not
finished either.

I think I left the metrics in a better state, mind you.

Where is the metrics/draw concept documented? Who
understands the current state?

Me. And I've tried to document this mess while doing it. I reckon it is now much more understandable than it ever was. At least since when I came in (1.5svn).

I can tell you why bug 1814 is still not solved, although it is a major
issue, makes e.g. branches with more than a few lines unusable and several
people already invested a considerable amount of time trying to solve it:
Because fixing this requires a full understanding of the current state of
the metrics/draw machinery (not some idealized, but unimplemented
theoretical idea), and gaining that is simply too difficult.

Not anymore. And I fixed some parts of this bug in trunk already.

Abdel.