R> Hello, I'm using LyX now for half a year or so and I was initially
R> confused by the menu entries. I now realize that part of the
R> confusion was the arrangement of the entries and that some entries
R> appear twice in the menus.

Indeed. I'm glad that somebody decided to take a look.

R> I haven't spend time on digging into the code for a rewrite of the
R> menus; I could do that if this email doesn't generate lots of
R> flames.....

Please wait a bit. I'd like to port the code from the old devel branch
to the new one, after what the menu will be simply defined in lyxrc.

R> Here we go:

R> *) "Goto" actions are spread over several menu entries:
Edit-> Goto error Goto note
Refs-> Goto Reference->...
R>         TOC
TOC-> List of figures->... List of Tables->...
R>         (why "TOC->List of algorithms->..." is absent?) I suggest:
R> remove the Goto entries in the Edit menu and remove the "TOC" and
R> "Refs" entries all together; merge them all in one "Goto" entry in
R> the main menu. A "Goto->Go back" should then be applicable to all
R> goto-actions listed here.

Agreed.

R>    "Refs" has now also insert-entries, but you don't need them here
R> because they are *already* covered by "Insert->Cross Reference".
R> That's also the place where you expect them to be!

Yes.

R> *) Table Of Contents (and the related LOF, LOT, LOA) in Edit:
Edit-> Table of contents... List of tables... List of figures... List
Edit-> of algorithms...
R>    "Edit" is the wrong place; you're only *viewing* the
R> TOC/LOT/LOF/LOA, not editing it! Where else could it then go?
R> Possibly under a new "View" entry in the main menu, together with
R> "View LaTeX log file" and maybe some others (view dvi & view ps).

So, you add a View and a Goto menu, but you remove TOC and Refs,
right? It seems good to me.

R> *) Table insert appears twice in the menus:
Edit-> Table->Insert Table
Insert-> Table
R>     The first one should go to keep things simple and logical!

Yes.

R> What do you think?

The idea seems good. Lets' see what the others think.