> Because these are fundamentally different concepts (I keep repeating myself).

I do not think \textit and \em are 'fundamentally different'.
\textit/\em and CharStyle Emph are. The former are all 'plain latex
command', the latter can be any latex command. This is obviously
different from what JMarc thinks

<quote> But there are two different things:
* semantic vs explicit marking
* font-like extent versus inset.
The first one is the one that counts. The second one is an
implementation issue.
</quote>

>From a user's point of view, the former is mapped to some latex
command that is NOT configurable. The later is some complicated inset
that provides flexibility at a cost of usability. It would be more
naturally to put \textbf along with \em, than to put \strong (leads to
a scary inset) along with \em (which simply makes your text italic).

> They have only
> buttons for physical markup in the toolbars, namely bold, underline, italics
> (and sometimes small caps). We have *none* of those buttons in our toolbar,
> so if we are going to go that way, we have to go it to the end.

You tried really hard to differentiate \textit and \em and tried to
convince me your toolbar buttons are *not* italics and underline in
word's sense. My view is different. See above.

Bo