On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Andre Poenitz wrote:

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:20:42PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:25:12AM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

However, insets imply all sorts of things about cursor movement and
mouse placement. Unless things in this area got *massively* cleaned up
since I last looked at the code, getting correct cursor movement with
char-ranges-as-insets will not be easy.

We will face challenge for sure but Cursor movement is already working
well for entering and leaving insets. We will have to decide what to do

That's true for the current insets, absolutely *not* for char styles.
It's not acceptable for it to need two keypresses to get from a to b in
'ab' just because a has a different char style.

Well. And I want two _explicit_ cursor positions there, independent of
the implementation...

I would in general _not_ want explicit cursor positions. I see the character styles as some kind of attribute that's applied to the text along another dimension.

Andre', could you give an example of a case where you'd like the cursor to stop in between character styles?

Maybe we really need two modes regarding how to move the cursor using the keyboard etc?

/Christian