Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:23:25PM +0200, Dov Feldstern wrote:
Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 12:39:05AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Andre', could you give an example of a case where you'd like the cursor to stop in between character styles?
Anytime I want to start typing in one but not the other.

With insets it is clear what is outer and what is inner, and you can
more or less random what is in and what is out.

With insets it may be clear, but still not match what I want in a given situation, because I want to extend the inner and not the outer. So the fact that it's clear isn't all that helpful...

With current fonts I agree it's not clear.

What I'm suggesting is continue using char-attributes (in an enhanced, more general form, but the same basic concept) --- but to add visual cues to make it clear exactly how far the range extends; and/or to make it clear exactly what attributes the next font I type is going to have.

Here's an idea, for example: in the status bar, clearly display the "currently active" character attributes / styles. Or even better, this could be a very unintrusive check-list of the currently active attributes, allowing me to also uncheck any attributes that I want to turn off.

The point is, I think that with a little creative thinking, we should be able to solve the specific problems that we have with font attributes, without changing the entire metaphor, and without requiring changes in other, already-complicated, parts of the code (e.g., cursor-movement).

Andre'

Dov