Dov Feldstern wrote:
John Levon wrote:
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 06:37:05AM +0300, Martin Vermeer wrote:

If what Martin means is that *LyX* will have no ambiguity, e.g, when generating latex/XML, then I think that the disambiguation algorithm suggested in this thread http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/95997 (plus the refinement suggested by JMarc, which uses the extent of the ranges, see the whole thread) would solve any ambiguities that might arise with ranges; hence, this is not an advantage relative to ranges.
Doesn't exist yet, and doesn't sound simple.

It's also pretty self-contained. Sometimes we must take the hit of some
slightly more complicated code for a better UI experience.

Self-contained also means better maintainability, because there are less chances of someone breaking the whole mechanism by playing with some seemingly unrelated piece of code. I'd much rather have a self-contained but complicated piece of code (if the interface is well defined and I can trust that it works), than simpler code spread out all over the place.

You've just made a plea for charstyle as inset: fonts are spread all over the place whereas insets are self contained.

:-P

Abdel.